HISTORY OF THE SARDIS CHURCH
The Sardis Church was founded in 1827. The minutes from the original records read: "At a meeting held in the home of James Fulkerson in the County of Cole, State of Missouri, on Saturday, the 11th day of August A.D. 1827 the following Presbytery met (to wit) John B. Longan, John Bowles and David Allee, who at the request of the Baptist Association. The members present were David Chambers, Jason Harrison, William T. Hines, Richard Lundy, Martin Gough, Elizabeth Fulkerson, and Isabella Hollingworth. Seven in number who after due examination, were pronounced a church, to act with full power and authority and as such...whereupon said church proceeded to do business. Open a door for the reception of members and resolved that this church be called and known by the name of Sardis."
The church did not immediately erect a church building, but met in the home of David Chambers who lived at "Lookout" about one and one-fourth miles northwest of Elston. After which in 1838 a building was erected at Lookout.
A new building was built in Elston and was called the Union Church, it was dedicated on March 29,1885. Messers. G. L. Moad of the Cumberland (Presbyterian), J. P. L. Maxey, of the Baptist, and J.C. Cross, of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, officiating. The building committee comprised of A. and J. M. Routsong and P. P. McNeal. This building was struck by lightening and burnt to the ground August 24, 1924.
A new framed stuccoed building, seating 250, and basement was built on the same site and dedicated in 1926. In this building the Baptist and Methodists united and shared alternating Sundays for some thirty years. In 1961 with a full time program in mind, the Sardis Baptist Church moved to an adjacent school building. In 1962 the Baptist church moved about two blocks north and erected a new building. At this time the name was changed to First Baptist Church of Elston.
The old Sardis church building still stands next to the Elston Cemetery.